Warm days continue into fall, and even after cooler weather arrives athletes and active people need to be sure to keep up their fluid intake. Here are some easy tips to help you personalize your hydration.
- Weigh yourself before training or competition and again afterwards. For every pound lost, drink 16 – 24 ounces of fluid. So if you lose 1.5 pounds, you would need to drink 24 – 36 ounces of fluid.
- If you are exercising for more than an hour you need to pay attention to fluid during your activity. Try for 4-6 gulps of water or sports drink (4-6 ounces) every 15 minutes.
- To maintain baseline hydration try drinking water when you first get up and making sure to drink fluids with each meal.
- If you don’t like to use sports drinks during activity be sure to eat some salty snacks like pretzels.
- Be sure to drink something when you are thirsty.
- Monitor your urine color. It should be pale yellow like lemonade. If it is more like the color of apple juice drink more liquids.
© 2015 Kathleen Searles, MS, RDN, CSSD, LDN